13 April 2021
Following the announcement that Community Transport Service ReadiBus will soon cease to provide their transport services in Newbury and Thatcham, West Berkshire Council has provided an update on alternative services that are available for local residents who are unable to use public transport due to poor health or mobility issues. Community Transport Services provide transport for eligible people to attend medical appointments, go shopping or to visit friends and relatives (as Covid-19 restrictions allow).
Community transport groups operating in Newbury and Thatcham include:
- Thatcham Volunteer Bureau: operates a Car Scheme for residents living in and around Thatcham – including Hermitage, Cold Ash, Crookham, and Woolhampton. Bookings can be made by calling: 01635 862306 between 10am and 12 noon Monday to Friday.
- Volunteer Centre West Berkshire (VCWB): operates a Handybus and a Car Scheme within Newbury and the surrounding areas, contact:
- Car Scheme on: 01635 49004 between 10am and 1pm Monday to Friday (people requiring assistance to attend medical appointments should contact the Car Scheme rather than Handybus)
- Handybus (available from mid-April), phone: 01635 37111 between 9am and 1pm Monday to Thursday.
- Shopmobility (available from mid-April), phone: 01635 523854 between 10am and 3pm Monday to Saturday.
Eligible residents using the Community Car Scheme or Handybus (minibus) will be asked to make a contribution towards the cost of the service. The fee will be discussed whilst making a booking. When possible, service users are asked to give at least three days’ notice prior to a journey being made.
Information on all community transport schemes operating in West Berkshire, along with details on other local groups, can be found on the Council’s website https://info.westberks.gov.uk/communitytransport.
Anyone with specific needs or requiring more information can contact the Council’s Transport Team by email: Transport@westberks.gov.uk or by phone: 01635 519394.